Professor Steven Buck (email@example.com)
Lectures: Tuesday & Thursday
2-3:30pm, 3108 Etcheverry
Sections: Wednesday 9-10 am, 136 Barrows
4-5 pm, 145 Moffitt
Professor Buck: Friday 4:00-5:00pm, 234 Giannini Hall
GSI Sylvan Herskowitz: Thursday 10:00-11:00am, 236 Giannini Hall
Mondays 10:30am-noon, 236 Giannini Hall on weeks before problem sets are due
· Recent materials have been uploaded to the Class Handouts link.
· Reminder: Check-in 4 is Tues, 3/31 and will cover the F-test. Email sent via Bcourses announcement with details.
· Reminder: Bonus Quiz for the midterm is Thur, 4/2.
· Recent materials have been uploaded to the Class Handouts link and lecture slides have been posted to Bcourses.
· The Stata introduction session will be tomorrow, January 30th, at 4pm for those in the morning section and at 5pm for those in the afternoon section. It will be in Giannini 234. Materials are posted on the “Section Materials” page of this website.
· This week’s section locations will be in the same place as stated on the syllabus. However, after this week the afternoon section will switch to Moffitt 145.
· A Stata extra help session will be scheduled for this Friday at 4pm. The room is still TBD.
We will use Introductory Econometrics: A Modern Approach, by Jeffrey M. Wooldridge. The most recent edition is the 5thth, but earlier editions are acceptable substitutes. There will be several copies on reserve at Moffitt Library. Reserve call numbers will be posted here when they are available.
Problem sets will require you to use a data analysis and statistical software program called Stata. We will begin using Stata in a tutorial during the second week of class. If you want to purchase your own copy of the software for your laptop or home computer, a single-user six-month license for Small Stata (sufficient for this course) is available through Berkeley’s GradPlan for $35. (An annual license is $49.) Note that a license allows you to install the software on up to three of your own computers. See http://www.stata.com/order/schoollist.html to purchase (Select University of California, Berkeley, then look for the product you want). Software is delivered to campus for pick-up after your online purchase. There are often delays in delivering copies of Stata at the beginning of the semester, so if you are sure that you will take this class you should order a copy ASAP to ensure you receive it on time.